Thursday, March 07, 2013

One Year Later

One year into the mission

Today was one year since I returned from my mission. I think about my mission every single day. I think about the people I taught, the members I worked with, how hard it was, and the lessons I learned.

I almost did not go. I thought I was too old and I didn't want to give up all my plans. For months, I went back and forth. Go. Don't go. Go. Don't go. I put my papers and waited, terrified that I had made the wrong decision.

Then my call came and as I read it, standing out by our mailbox, I felt it. The spirit confirming to me that this was right and good. As I read 'the Spain Barcelona Mission', I knew that God had heard my prayers and was putting me exactly where I needed to be.

I thought missions were such a sacrifice. Leaving everything I know and love? Put all my plans on hold? I have come to realize, is it such a sacrifice when you come out with so much more.All the things I gave up for 18 months, would never amount to the experiences and happiness the mission has brought me.

I miss Spain everyday. I miss clipping on my nametag. I miss talking to strangers on the street. I miss struggling with Spanish. I miss my companions. I miss that blazing happiness I felt when teaching with the Spirit. I miss sharing my testimony everyday. I miss the people I taught.

But I will always be a Spain Barcelona Missionary. An El Faro Missionary. The things I learned and felt are written on my heart and I hope I am following them everyday.

On my mission someone said ' the best mission is the one you are currently in'. So even though I am no longer a missionary, I can still be learning and progressing. That was what my mission taught me. To be happy where I am, to do cheerfully all that is in my power and trust in God.


3 comments:

Heidi said...

I miss you Melissa dear. Thank you for the lovely post.

Margaret Preston said...

You are a beautiful writer. thank you for putting my own thoughts ino words as well. I love you Hermana!

Karen said...

"To be happy where I am, to do cheerfully all that is in my power and trust in God."
This is a great lesson.