I was trying to put together a Resume today, when I realized something. I really have NO experience especially in the job area. I know that people should hire me but they don't know that. They will just look at my resume and say "What only one job- and pulling carpet at that". With that I am doomed to spend my whole summer looking for a job and yet never getting one. This could turn into a troublesome experience.
2 comments:
Oh, goody. I remember when I was in your shoes--not that it was that long ago, only 5 years. And now here I am, 3 jobs later.
If it's any consolation, I got my first real job ever (at the BYU library) my freshman year. On my resume: pretty much nothing. I babysat and taught piano lessons in high school. So at that point I included those (vamped up as much as possible) and that was about it. And I think I listed my high school and college GPAs (neither of which were anything to brag about, but it filled up white space).
So I guess the key is to attempt to establish relevance (I was unsuccessful at that since babysitting and piano lessons have pretty much nothing to do with the library) and, lacking relevance, practice your typing skills and smile big. That's how I got my job. Oh, or know someone. That's always helpful.
I wish I still had that original resume. It must have looked so bad, but they gave me a chance anyway! People do. You'll find something you like. Good luck!
Yea, white space does not look good on a resume. None of the things I have done in the past have anything to do with the jobs I am applying for. Carpet pulling is not on the list of jobs that get you places. Hopefully things will go a little better this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Post a Comment